“If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder without any such gift from the fairies, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in." - Rachel Carson

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Ribbon Toys

One of Rowan's favorite things is to dance around the house while listening to music, with great flair. Her newest obsession is trying to dance like a ballerina- she tells me, "I need to do my ballerinas now Mommy." As I was watching her prance about the other day I remembered a simple ribbon toy that I loved as a girl-- a long pink ribbon attached to a wand, to use for dancing. I bought 2 yards of shiny pink ribbon and a yard each of two different shades of purple, and hot glued the long pink ribbon around the end of a wooden dowel. I then glued and wrapped one color of purple around the dowel until it was covered, and then criss-crossed the pattern on the wand with a darker purple ribbon. She LOVES this simple toy, and uses it not only for dancing, but as a pretend fishing pole, and her "talking stick." Here are some pictures of her testing it out on the beach.




A few days later she got her latest issue of High Five magazine in the mail, and the craft project for this month's issue was to make a ribbon dancing toy using the lid of a canning jar, with different colored pieces of ribbon tied around the ring. This toy is also a hit- and little Retta likes to play with this one too!


No comments:

Post a Comment