“If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder without any such gift from the fairies, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in." - Rachel Carson

Friday, November 9, 2012

First Snow!



We knew it was coming, and yet, there's always something surprising about the first snow of the season. Yesterday morning when we woke up we weren't expecting to see 3 inches or so on the ground and coating the trees, our brown November yard transformed into a winter wonderland overnight. We were thinking it was just going to be a little dusting. Rowan was so overjoyed about this change in landscape that she and Aaron were out playing by 6:30. By the time Retta and I had bundled up and joined them at 7:00, they had already built a snowman, shoveled out Rowan's name on the driveway, and made snow angels. Rowan was handing out carefully selected snowballs for each of us to munch on, and then she led us to her "secret hideaway," in a stand of pine trees.

I know that many of us are not so enthusiastic about the appearance of the white stuff and the gray, cold days that often accompany it, and I am often among that group. Yesterday however, I found myself grateful for this glimpse of winter- Rowan's enthusiasm was infectious. We rarely venture outside so early in the morning, but there was something great about getting up and immediately going out, feeling the cool air on your face and then retreating to the warm house for breakfast. We were all so awake and happy, all before when we'd normally just be rolling out of bed. As I spent the day with Retta, I embraced the wintry weather, determined to make a roaring fire in the woodstove, drinking tea while looking for the perfect chocolate chip banana bread recipe,  working on homemade Christmas gifts, making time to slow down and enjoy the day playing with my little one. We had an excellent day together and it made me remember the good parts of winter- the cozy house, candles burning, baking, snuggling cute children in fuzzy pajamas, and the turning inward to more quiet and reflective pursuits. Summer is so much about getting out, having adventures outdoors, soaking up as much sun and warmth as you can while it lasts. Then there's winter, where I feel like all my reading, my crafting and my dreaming and good ideas happen. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to see the sunshine and the grass again today, even if it's dead, but I'm also thankful for yesterday's snowy day.

Retta is curious about the snow

Rowan in her secret hideout

Little Lulu all bundled up--that fleecy suit is like a sleep machine

And here's a video, but for some reason the sound isn't working for me, so it's probably not that interesting, but it's kind of cool, like the old home movies that didn't used to have sound...


No comments:

Post a Comment