“If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder without any such gift from the fairies, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement and mystery of the world we live in." - Rachel Carson

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Our Anniversary: Lucky Seven


Happy Anniversary to us! SEVEN years ago today Aaron and I were married! Time flies when you are having fun. I just realized the other day that I have now been with Aaron for half of my life, because I started dating him in high school when I was 16, almost 17, and now I'm 32. Wow. I feel incredibly lucky to have shared so much life already with him. We have millions of happy memories and shared experiences, and today we couldn't help but marvel at the two beautiful children that have come out of this partnership as well. If one little thing had been different- if I hadn't joined our high school ski team and gotten a crush on him way back when, or if he hadn't agreed to go on our cheesy first date to see Star Wars, I might have a completely different life. I'm glad I picked this one.






To celebrate our anniversary, and to prove to ourselves that even though we are parents we are hip and can still do adventurous things, we left the girls with my parents (our first night away from Retta) and drove to Boston to see Florence + The Machine in concert Friday night. She is an amazing live performer- it was a fantastic show. So worth it. We then stayed in a random hotel off of 95 that just happened to be hosting the New England Jazz Banjo Festival, which I didn't even know was a genre of music. We heard banjo playing coming from every room as we walked the hallway to find ours, and enjoyed our first night of uninterrupted sleep in 5 months. In the morning, we promptly drove home as fast as we could because my parents were running out of milk. It was so good to get away- every time we actually schedule time to have some kind of a date, I am flooded with a feeling of relief that Aaron and I still actually have things to talk about and have a lot of fun together when we aren't continually distracted and in parent mode. Not to say we don't have fun on a daily basis as a family, but grown-up conversation and kid-less time is so different. It was great to get away with my wonderful husband, and great to get back and hug those little cuties that I'm oh-so-grateful for. Yay for anniversaries and honoring the big moments in life!

Here's Florence singing the last song of the night, "Dog Days are Over." Unfortunately it's just the end of the song with a long clapping interlude, but the last minute of the video is more exciting...we didn't have our video camera so I've had to choose from the few that have been put on youtube! 














No comments:

Post a Comment